Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Getting older...

So, this month I turn 33. Scary number, but no big issue really. Then I start thinking about the past 10 years. 10 years ago, I was single, goofing off, living carefree, and wasting money like it was going out of style. I would rent 10 movies a night from Blockbuster, then return them the next day after watching them. I had no real life, and was unsure where I was heading in life. In September of 2000, I drove cross country with my best friend. We did 19,000 miles in 3 months. Got to see some amazing things, and had some great experiences along the way. I have family and friends all over the country, and during this trip we only stayed in 7 motels. The rest of the time we stayed with my family or friends. We did stay with his family in Detroit and North Carolina though. But the experience was something I can never replicate. We had nothing tying us down, nothing we couldn't walk away from, and nothing we couldn't put off until we got back. We left in September, and got home in December. Best time of my life... until my wife had our first child. December of 2006. We weren't married then, but we were engaged, and my life changed instantly. Now my life is even better, with the addition of our second child, who was born in June last year. My wife and I have had our ups and downs, same as every couple. But our instant cure for things is seeing our boys play together. Patrick starts laughing, over nothing in particular, and Jackson start right on in with him. They do it at home, sitting in the car seats, anywhere they want to. It is absolutely adorable. They play together all the time, Jackson sitting in his activity center, and Patrick bringing him toys - lots of toys! They share things all the time, and Patrick just adores him. We have been lucky so far with them getting along so well. We can only hope they always stay this close.

So now, looking at my life, I am married, have two wonderful boys, and still really have no idea where my life is heading. I have decided that I am too fat for my own good, and am trying to eat much less. I am planning on either riding a bike (if I am allowed to buy one!), or walking leading up to running to get in shape. I need to be here for quite some time to raise the boys. I need to live a good life, and show the boys how a good father should be. Being 33 is a seemingly scary number, but now thinking about my life, it is just a number. One that the boys can learn to say while counting!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, wait - you're the 20th, too, aren't you? Happy birthday, whatever day :)

    There certainly is a difference between 23 and 33, isn't there? I don't have kids and I'm not married, but I can still see so many changes in myself.

    ReplyDelete