Sunday, March 7, 2010

Scary news...

Today, the EMS world here in Bucks County PA was rattled by the horrible news of a paramedic getting attacked and killed by a patient. This is obviously a horrible aspect of the job we choose, but rare that it does happen. It does put my job as an EMT in perspective very quickly though. How much do I really want to help a suicidal patient? We are taught to always make sure the scene is safe for us. We are literally taught to allow people to die, even in front of us or large crowds of people if there is no police presence there to ensure scene safety. LET them die unless it is safe for us. Now back to today, Suicidal patient, no cops there yet... why does this medic bother with the pt? Cause we care too fucking much. He ignored his training to save someone he prolly didn't even know. We have a strange job, but no one is worth that price! I have 2 adorable (sorry, they really are cute) boys, and an amazing wife. If someone wants to kill themselves, and the cops aren't there yet, I will let them die, without thinking twice about it. Does that make me a bad person? Am I wrong for not losing sleep over a situation like that? I honestly have no qualms saying that my life is worth so much more than someone who wants to kill themselves, and I get called to help them. Now don't get me wrong, I am not advocating suicide, nor am I saying I think everyone should just die. But I am NOT risking my ass for someone who could kill me. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!! Am I wrong?

2 comments:

  1. Nope, not wrong at all. I'm sure your wife and adorable kiddos appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not wrong. That is in your training for a reason. While I can understand the impulse to want to help someone, I would not do it at the expense of my own life. I'm not sure if you have ever been in that exact situation, and you're probably right that you wouldn't advance to help... but who knows what was going through that EMT's head... he probably thought he could help!

    ReplyDelete