Friday, September 10, 2010

Working too hard, for not enough money...

Let me start this off by saying I love my job. I get paid to go to some of the coolest events there are, and have fun in the roles I perform while working. That being said, I wish that this job could be my only job, and be decently paid for doing it well. I have put in crazy hours, and the pay is only decent when I work overtime. So last week I put in 80 hours alone. Added to the 54 hours the week before, you'd think the paycheck would be good. Nope. All that work and I'll be lucky to crack 1200 bucks. Sad, and darn no one for hiring me full time. That's right, all this work as a PART TIME employee! *Sigh* Oh well... I apologize to everyone for not blogging here lately, but with the hours i am putting in at work, plus the hour and a half each way drive time, I hope I get some slack for it. I will do better to post more, and will also continue with the stories from my road trip soon! Hope everyone is well. Please never forget the events of September 11, 2001. 343!

1 comment:

  1. I fully understand this. This is the reason I never went beyond Volunteer FF. I love what I do, on my dept. (ok, now 8 years ago) at a scene you could not tell the volunteers from the career guys, we were always working together side-by-side, and usually all the same training. I always knew I would have a big family, and I do now. Between my wife and I there are 5 kids. There is no way I could support them on a FF salary. So i chose a career in Fire Protection. I have been a Sprinkler Fitter, but most of my career has been in engineering, design of fire sprinkler systems. I used to joke that my full time job made my part time job easier. That career pays well and (at the time) I could still do what i REALLY LOVE, and support my family too. To me, there is no difference in job between volunteer, on call, and career fire fighters, but on the other hand, I do think the volunteers deserve just that little extra token of respect, we put out lives on the line, for no pay at all, just the love of the job. I grew up in a neighborhood with many career fire fighters, every one of them had another career, usually as some sort of skilled trade. There were stone masons, electricians, carpenters, mechanics, etc... sadly that is the reality of this business. Being a FF or even (in my case now) an EMT, is not just a career, or a job, it is a lifestyle. Live the lifesytle and be happy with it. No one does this for the $.

    ReplyDelete